The New Sublime – Digital Art Gallery - 2014
The New Sublime is an ambitious, artist-led exhibition showing work by 11 emerging and established digital artists.
“The self, terrible and constant, is for me, the subject matter of painting” – Barnett Newman
Running throughout Brighton Digital Festival at Clearleft’s new building, 68 Middle Street, The New Sublime is an ambitious, artist-led exhibition showing work by 11 emerging and established digital artists including Alex May, James Alliban, Kate Genevieve, Evan Boehm and the Fortunecats.
Digital Art is in its infancy and, whilst the boundaries of technology are ever expanding, the questions for artists continue along the lines of: “what is it really for?” and “how does it feel?”. This show includes painting, sculpture, installations (interactive and otherwise), performance and video work, all of it exploring the new artistic possibilities presented by digital technology.
The gallery is a large, modern space near the centre of town and represents an exciting contribution to Brighton’s burgeoning position as an international centre for digital art.
Organised in collaboration with Brighton University, Fabrica, Joseph Norman and Matt Pearson.
Supported by Clearleft, Arts Council England and Moshimo.
- 31 August – 6 September “Brighton Remixed” by Alex May
- 7 – 15 September “Noisy Ping Pong” by Will Nash
- 18 – 29 September “Looking at a Horse” by Evan Boehm and Duncan WalkerMEETING ROOM
- 31 August – 8 September “Equilibrium” by Jan Vantomme
- 11 – 22 September “Bipolar” by James Alliban
- 25 – 29 September “Broken X” by the FortunecatsLOBBY
- 31 August – 8 September “Who Watches the Watchers” by Shardcore
- 6 – 22 September “Pietbot” by David Barnett
- 11 – 22 September “Gwen’s Story” by Mary Rees
- 26 – 28 September “Gather” by CHROMA
- 25 – 29 September “Break the Mould” by Developing Dreams & Emilia Telese
The gallery is open from 11am – 5pm Wednesdays to Sundays throughout September.
The first veil of The New Sublime drops to reveal “Brighton Remixed” by Alex May: see more details here.
The second veil of The New Sublime drops to reveal “Noisy Ping-Pong” by Will Nash: see more details here.
The final veil reveals “Looking at a Horse” by Evan Boehm & Duncan Walker: see more details here.